Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Books on CD!

I just returned from the library, where I borrowed my very first book on CD. Since I have a pretty decent commute to work every day, I've decided to give this "book on tape" thing a go. There was one thing holding me back in this decision: I love to read. I love to look at the words on the paper, proccess them in my brain, and make meaning through the writing. I'm nervous that a book on tape won't be the same experience. I mean, it's not my voice I will be hearing anymore, it's the narrators. And he/she won't read the book exactly like I would read it. So what if it's not the same? Well, I've decided to start off with something light. Although I do enjoy some of those fun "girly" books out there, they are not usually the ones I pick up and read. I'm more of a "this story is so intense/I'm crying my eyes out/these characters are so intriguing" sort of reader. My feeling is, there are SO many AMAZING stories out there about people and culture and experiences that there is NO WAY I will ever read them all so those are the genres I usually go for. But every once in a while I do love a light read and for my first book on CD I made the decision that this was the type of book that I wanted to start out with.

And so, after perusing through the CD books at the library, I came across Emily Griffin's Something Borrowed. I've always seen this book out there, but never gave much thought to reading it. After checking it out I popped it into the CD player and began to listen to Chapter 1 while running errands this afternoon. So far, I'm really excited about it, and think it will be great for my rides in the car. Weirdly, I already can't wait for tomorrow (MONDAY) morning, for my ride to work and my time with Rachel, who's gotten herself into a real pickle with Dex, her best friend's fiance. I think I made the right choice with this one! Who knew Mondays (and car rides to work) could be so exciting?

No comments: