Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Making bread.

So last week I got this email from my friend:
Well of course from her excitement I absolutely had to try making the bread for myself. You know, just to make sure it was true. Up until two days ago the only bread I've ever made is banana bread and corn bread. But really, who are we kidding, those are both more like cakes (sorry if you think otherwise).

Anyways, I followed the directions and made the same changes my friend made and TA-DA! The bread came out INSANELY professional and RIDICULOUSLY delicious. Whoo!

I am a real live baker. Check out the pics... so easy you can make it too!
RECIPE

Speedy No-Knead Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast (follow directions on the back of packet)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Oil as needed

1. Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes more.

3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6-to-8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under dough and put it into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes.

4. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: 1 big loaf.

Thanks Cal and Thanks Mark Bittman!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Looks amazing!!I fully intend to try - pending snow day tomorrow!

C said...

YAY!!! Isn't it so easy and delicious? I couldn't believe how good it was I am never buying bread at the store again.