Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Julie and Julia

I am so excited. I am about to watch Julie and Julia. And when it's through I am going to be CRAVING boeuf bourguignon. I am also going to be DESPERATELY wishing I had a dutch oven. And butter is going to be my new best friend.

I think this movie is super cute. Besides making me wish I was a cook it makes me want to live in France. It also makes me wish I had a blog (oh wait, I do!). Meryl Streep is fabulous at Julia Childs. I watched a rerun of The French Chef on WGBH last weekend and I was almost convinced they were the same person. BON APPETIT!

I really like Amy Adams too. Especially when she is making that delicious looking chocolate cream pie in the beginning of the movie. I'd like to try a slice of that.

"Chocolate cream pie! You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. You can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort."

This movie has also taught me a few basics about cooking:
1) Don't crowd the mushrooms.
2) Pat the mean dry before you brown it.
3) You can never have too much butter.


I remember reading the book a few years ago, before the movie came out... it was a pretty good read, but I enjoyed the movie much more. The book is mostly about Julie and her blog and cooking through Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I love how the movie is a split between both Julie and Julia (maybe even a little more Julia, which I like). A decent book... good for back and forth on the train to work.

1 comment:

Piewacket said...

I saw this when it came out in the theater and then watched it again last night on cable... I just loved it. Though I have to admit, the 2nd time I would could have done with out the whole Amy Adams story line. Ad it all been Julia, I think it would have been an ever better movie.
Still very enjoyable as is.

I also read "My Life in France" which was just fantastic.