Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Eating Local.

I want this book.
I want to eat local foods every day and every night.
I want to be Barbara Kingsolver and have my own garden and raise my own chickens and have a husband who bakes bread daily and a daughter who cans tomatoes and I want to be able to make my own cheese.

Mmmm. Maybe someday.

For now the only things local I am eating are Zan's strawberries and some veggies from the farmers market. I feel so busy and too overwhelmed to commit myself to eating only local foods, although it's something I would love to do. Plus, I have absolutely NO land to call my own. Grass hardly exists on my street.

Luckily, there are so many farmers markets in Boston that there is no excuse for me not to eat mostly local this summer. Summer is, after all, the time to do it (winter is the hard part). I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. Who's with me?

Farmers markets around Boston

Brookline Farmers Market
Coolidge Corner, Center Street
June 17th-October 28th
Thursdays, 1:30-dusk

Copley Square Farmers Market
St. James and Dartmouth Street
May 18th-November 23rd
Tuesdays and Fridays, 11:00-6:00

Prudential Center Farmers Market
800 Boylston Street
May 20th- October 28th
Thursdays, 11:00-6:00

SOWA Open Market/Farmers Market
Harrison Ave, South End
May 16th-October 31st
Sundays, 10:00-4:00

Allston Farmers Market
N. Harvard Street and Western Ave
June 18th-October 29th
Fridays, 3:00-7:00

There are SO many FM in and around the Bean! Click here for a farmers market near you.

And if you want to read a good book about Animals, Vegetables, and Miracles (like making your own cheese) check this out. It's one of my favorites!


No comments: